Were you looking to find out how to do a domain registration in Nepal?
Or maybe you wanted to improve your company/ business’s online presence by going live with a website but might have been stuck on how to get a domain name.
Or like me, you would like to get your own personal .com.np domain in your name!
Not just for getting your domain name with your name but also to build your portfolio and online presence.
Whatever be the reason, this post will act as your friend.
Yes, a true friend! But how?
This post has every detailed information on the current trends of buying a domain in Nepal, how to get a .com.np domain for free; documents required, how to get TLD domain like .com, .org, the payment options available and some tips on getting the domain name you need.
Get $100 Credit on DigitalOcean. Join Now!
Now, let’s enter into the main topic – domain and Nepal.
What is a domain name?
A domain name often called domain is the address, a simple alphanumeric name which represents a unique website, points and locates the website files when someone requests.
Each domain name is unique and identifiable. The domain name(s) represent an IP address (Internet Protocol address).
Domain names exist for our ease, as it is hard to remember IP addresses like 245.24.234.12 but easier to remember a domain name like lakshmanbasnet.com
As you see in the above illustration, a domain name is made up several small parts like protocol, domain, domain-level (TLD, ccTLD), directory and path, and the file name which form together to establish Domain Name System (DNS).
ICANN along with several other organisations are responsible for developing, maintaining and monitoring Domain Name System.
Current status of domain registration in Nepal
If there is anything that has evolved rapidly in Nepal over the last few decades is the telecommunication industry.
With internet penetration growing rapidly in Nepal, more people are browsing the internet daily and the Nepali Internet Service Providers (ISPs) have seen a significant increase in bandwidth demand.
With this, more Nepali businesses and trade houses are adapting the new digital life as fast as they can. Be it establishing their social presence on social networks like facebook or to engage with their customers, or to provide the services over the internet, Nepali companies are trying their best to make a strong online presence.
Not just the businesses but individuals also have started to know and understand the importance of having a website and a domain name.
Currently in Nepal, if you need to register a domain name, there are several ways to do. Some can be done instantly while others can take some days to go live.
Before you decide to get a domain, you also need to decide what type of domain you need, what options are available to you, and how you can make your desired domain yours.
In Nepal, you can get domain in following ways:
- Get a .np, .com.np, .org.np etc which are called ccTLD – Country Code Top Level Domain from Mercantile Communication Pvt Ltd through their online website register.com.np
- if you need a domain name for government organisation in Nepal, you can do it online at https://nitc.gov.np/service/domain-registration-2/
- if you are after TLD – Top Level Domains like .com, .org. club etc, you can buy these domains from international domain registration companies if you have international payment options or you can buy through local domain registration companies in Nepal
Don’t worry about how you can do! I am explaining the above points in detail below:
How to register a free .np domain in Nepal?
Grow Your YouTube Channel with TubeBuddy. Join Today!
|application process||all online|
|.np registration link||register.com.np|
|Time required||1-3/4 business days|
As you can easily say, .np domain represent Nepal.
It is a matter of pride and brand importance to get your .np domain if you are a business in Nepal.
It simply adds an extra level of trust among your customer when you have a website something like yourcompany.com.np, your customers will have the image that your company is registered for operations in Nepal and you have an online presence.
For individuals too, it is good to have your own portfolio website where you can start learning how to write blogs, showcase your projects, impress your clients and many more.
Since, .np domains are FREE, you won’t be spending any money to get a domain of your choice, unless you hire someone else to do it.
Documents required to get your .np Nepali domain
Even though you don’t need to submit any documents to buy top-level domains like .com, you have to supply very nominal documents to get your Nepali domain. It will vary on if you registering as an individual, company or an organisation.
For individuals – a personal request
- Nepalese citizenship or passport or driving license or voter’s card or Non-Resident-Nepalese ID Card or Nepalese resident visa for foreign nationals
- cover letter
For business and organisation – official request
- For local entities: certificate of registration of company/firm/partnership/organization
- For foreign entities registered in Nepal: certificate of registration of branch or liaison office or certificate of affiliation with Social Welfare Council
Find more at this official link
subscribe us on YouTube!
Cover letter for .com.np domain registration
In case you need a sample of cover letter for the .com.np domain registration in Nepal, feel free to use the following template and modify according to your need.
Sep 23, 2020 Dear Hostmaster, I would like to register my personal domain name mydomain.com.np at register.com.np. I have attached my citizenship and necessary details for the domain registration of mydomain.com.np with this application. Let me know if you need any further information. Regards, Your Name [email protected] Phone Number
How to register .np domain in Nepal?
To register any domains, you need to visit https://register.com.np/ and make an online application.
Time needed: 5 minutes.
It can take around five minutes to complete the online application and up to a few couple of business days for your domain to be approved by the domain registrar.
- Search for your domain availability at register.com.np
Look and search for your desired domain name and the domain extension.
If my name is Laxman Basnet, I can request domain name if available like:
but not ramkhatri.com.np or himalayaschool.com.np from personal request.
- If your domain is available, click on register
- Sign in or create account
If you don’t have an account at register.com.np, tap on create a user to create your account
- Fill in the domain request form and provide nameserver of your web hosting
The application form needs your contact information and two nameserver addresses of your web hosting.
If you haven’t got a web hosting yet, you can get now.
If you couldn’t find the nameservers, it is wise to check support, documentation and forums of your host.
If your server provides IP addresses instead of nameservers, you can’t use directly .np domain control panel.
Check this video on how to use Cloudflare to resolve this issue.
- Save and confirm your details, and submit your application
It might take some time for the hostmaster to view your application. You may or may not be notified by email, so it is wiser to check login and check manually.
.gov.np domain registration for Government organisations
|application process||by email/ mail|
|.gov.np registration link||https://nitc.gov.np|
|Time||1-3/4 business days|
|Registrar||NITC, Nepal Government, Nepal|
.gov domain extensions are reserved for governments in all countries. If you see .gov.np website, you can say with ease that it is a government website or government organisation’s website.
To register a .gov.np domain in Nepal,
all applications need to make through NITC (Nepal Information Technology Center), a specialised IT wing of Nepal Government which provides different IT, data storage and other services along with domain registration and web hosting facilities to government organisations like municipalities, administration offices, local councils and more.
.gov.np registration process
- official requests need to be made by email [email protected] or by mail to NITC
- The DNS server will be the DNS of the NITC as directed by Office of Prime Minister and Council of Ministers (OPMCM) which are as follows:
- postal address:
GOV-NP Domain Registration
National Information Technology Center
Government of Nepal
Okay, by now we know how to get our Nepali domain but what if you want to get a domain name ending with .com, .org, .net etc?
This is where following information will be helpful to you! Continue reading. 🙂
- How to Use Google Maps Offline on iPhone Without Internet
- The Joy of Not Having a Static IP
- Adjusting Filmic Pro Audio Settings Manually With a Hidden Feature!
TLD domain registration in Nepal
Let’s explore another important part of our subject – top-level domain registration.
Top Level domains are also commonly referred as TLD.
Some examples of TLD extensions are .com, .net. .org etc
In Nepal, if you want to get any top-level domain you can do it in following ways:
Self from any international domain registrars
If you have got international credit/ debit card, PayPal etc you can directly buy your domain from any international domain registrars like GoDaddy, Namecheap, domain.com etc. This process will be instant and your domain will be in your account as immediately as after you finish checking out.
So what do you do when you don’t have international payment option?
Don’t worry, this is why our Nepali entrepreneurs have established IT businesses to provide domain related services in Nepal.
From local Nepali companies providing domain services
There are numerous tech companies providing domain registration and web hosting services in the Nepali market.
You can visit any companies physically to their office to register your domain name or do it online through their website.
Most of the companies can accept bank transfer, payment from Nepali wallets like eSewa, Khalti and IMEpay.
Companies providing domain registration services in Nepal
There are several companies providing domain registration services in Nepal. Even though most of them are based in Kathmandu, almost all are capable of providing their services across the whole country as many accept Nepali wallets like eSewa, Khalti and bank transfer for payment.
You shouldn’t be surprised if I tell you this domain lakshmanbasnet.com is also registered through Nepali company. 😛
I have listed some major companies providing domain related services in Nepal. This list is in no particular order, and is extracted from Google Maps Search.
- Buy Domain in Nepal https://buydomaininnepal.com/
- Domain Registration In Nepal https://domainsregistrationinnepal.com/
- Websnp Web Hosting and Domain Registration https://www.websnp.com/
- Himalayan Host – Web Hosting in Nepal himalayanhost.com
- Prabhu Host prabhuhost.com
- Weblink Nepal weblinknepal.com
- Ehostingserver ehostingserver.com
Problems related to domain registration in Nepal
After reading the above process on registering domains you might have some ideas, confusions in your mind. The problems with the domain registration process in Nepal.
Listed below are some of the problems I faced while getting domain in Nepal:
- Most of us Nepali people don’t have access to international payment because of the government’s restriction
- due to lack of international payment gateways, buying a domain and web services from international companies are hardly possible from Nepal
- very weak or immatured IT and Cyberlaw in Nepal
- one and only .np domain registrar in the country: Mercantile Communication, whose domain registration service was paused for many weeks after it hackers claimed its database compromised. more at https://nepstuff.com/mercantile-communications-responds-to-their-recent-system-hack/
Do you need any help with domain registration or web hosting? Feel free to contact me.
You can register your .np domain at register.com.np for free.
You can buy your desired domain in Nepal from different online and offline vendors. Popular are Mercantile Communication for .np registration, local companies and online.
.np domain is available for free.