Hope you are doing well.
Here are some of the recent updates you might want to get familiar with:
No more unrestricted work hours for international students
- Starting from July 1, 2023, work restrictions for student visa holders will be reintroduced, with a maximum limit of 48 hours per fortnight.
- However, there is an exemption for student visa holders currently employed in the aged care sector as of May 9, 2023. They will be allowed to continue working without any limitations on their working hours until December 31, 2023.
The National Minimum Wage will be raised to $882.80 per week or $23.23 per hour
- From 1 July 2023, the national minimum wage will be 23.23AUD per hour
- an increase of 5.75% to minimum award wages
- here’s what it looks like:
Before the increase – $21.38 per hour or $812.60 per week
After 1 July 2023 – $23.23 per hour or $882.80 per week
Don’t forget to lodge your tax return after getting your MES Statement!
- As the financial year is coming to an end, it is about time to lodge your tax return
- we international students are considered, Australian residents for tax purposes
- we don’t have access to Medicare services as student visa holders, hence we don’t need to pay 2% medicare levy
- before you lodge your tax return and claim exemption on Medicare levy, you need to get your Medicare Entitlement Statement (MES) from Services Australia https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/medicare-entitlement-statement
- You can easily apply for an MES statement online and get it in a few weeks
Aged Care Staff are getting a 15% pay rise
There’s a piece of good news if you are already working or plan to work in the aged care sector in Australia as the industry is getting a 15% wage increase.
The Adelaide Metro system has some good stuff rolling soon! 😀
- Now it is becoming possible to pay by credit card/ mobile wallet card on Adelaide’s bus, train and tram network. No need to worry about buying a ticket or MetroCard
- paper metro-tickets won’t be accepted any more from 1 July 2023
- MetroCard website is getting a much-needed upgrade with new user-friendly features coming public from the end of June 2023